Vigo grew from an old fishing town by the sea to the biggest city in Galicia. In this transition, motivated by the richness of the sea and the industry, the tram became its symbol of progress. Rails, wires and stops, today gone, spread around the main streets of the city for decades and the trams crammed with passengers were part of the urban landscape.
The arrival of the tram was an important event in the time. A group of noteworthy inhabitants of Vigo launched in 1911 the project and the tram started its regular service on 8 August 1914. The tram lines of the company Tranvías Eléctricos de Vigo spread quickly into the main arteries of the city and over time they expanded to other locations. In 1926 the service to Baiona started and in 1945 trams connected the city centre with Samil Beach.
A Porta do Sol is the city’s zero mile and a lively meeting point, which has the statue of O Sereo in its centre. In the past this square was the main location of the railroad network, which for eighteen years, until 1932, crossed O Príncipe Street. The symbolic trams adapted perfectly to the orography of the city and moved fast through its plain areas and slopes.
On New Year’s Eve 1968 they ran for the last time. The city kept progressing with another means of transport, the bus, and the tram went down in history as a symbol of the time.